So You Want to Run for Council
Area Clerks have prepared a “So You Want to Run for Council” presentation to provide more information what candidates can expect during the election period, and what to expect if elected. Click the links below to view these documents.
Provincial 2022 Candidate’s Guide for the Municipal Election
- https://www.ontario.ca/document/2022-candidates-guide-ontario-municipal-council-and-school-board-elections [click the blue Download link]
The United Counties of Leeds and Grenville has created a Candidate’s Guide for those running for the office of Mayor. It can be viewed at https://www.leedsgrenville.com/en/government/resources/Documents/Administration/Candidates-Guide.pdf.
To run for municipal office, you must be nominated and qualify. To be a qualified candidate you must:
- be a Canadian citizen;
- be at least 18 years old;
- reside in the Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley or be the owner or tenant of land in the Township, or the spouse of an owner or tenant of land in the Township.
In addition to the following as stated under Section 29 (1)(b) of the Municipal Elections Act, as amended:
29 (1) Eligibility – qualified – ineligible
(b) he or she is not ineligible under this or any other Act or otherwise prohibited by law to be nominated for or to hold the office.
Please be advised that:
(1) Section 33 of the Municipal Elections Act is amended by adding the following subsections:
Endorsement of nominations for council
(1.1) The nomination of a person for an office on a council must be endorsed by at least 25 persons, and they may endorse more than one nomination.
(1.2) Persons endorsing a nomination under subsection (1.1) must be eligible to vote in an election for an office within the municipality, if a regular election was held on the day that the person endorses the nomination.”
Nominations will be accepted at the Main Municipal Office during regular business hours until 2:00 p.m. on Nomination Day.
Nominations must include:
- Prescribed Nomination Paper – Form 1
- Endorsement of Nomination Form – Form 2
- Completed Consent to Release Personal Information
- Declaration for the Proper Use of Voters’ List
- Notice of Penalties and Refund of Nomination Filing Fee – Candidates (to be signed in front of a Returning Officer or designate)
- Prescribed nomination filing fee.
Candidates are requested to bring proof of identity and residence and the unsigned forms with them to the Main Office where they are to be signed in front of a Returning Officer or designate and filed.
|Nomination Start Date||May 2, 2022|
|Nomination End Date||August 19, 2022 at 2:00 pm|
|Advanced Voting Period Begins||October 17, 2022
at 10:00 a.m.
|Advanced Voting Period Ends||October 24, 2022
at 9:59 a.m.
|Voting Day|| October 24, 2022
from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
|New Term of Council Begins||November 15, 2022|
|End of Campaign Period||January 3, 2023|
School Board Trustee
Those interested in becoming a School Board Trustee candidate are to file at the following locations:
Upper Canada District School Board (https://www.ucdsb.on.ca/)
Township of Leeds and the Thousand Islands (https://www.leeds1000islands.ca/en/governing/election.aspx)
Megan Shannon, Clerk
1233 Prince Street, Lansdowne
Phone: 613-659-2415 ext. 231
Catholic District School Board of Eastern Ontario (https://www.cdsbeo.on.ca/)
Municipality of North Grenville (https://www.northgrenville.ca/)
Jessica Workman, Clerk
285 County Road 44, Kemptville
le Conseil des écoles publiques de l’Est de l’Ontario (https://cepeo.on.ca/)
City of Kingston’s Election Office (https://www.cityofkingston.ca/)
John Bolognone, Returning Officer
216 Ontario Street, Kingston
le Conseil des écoles catholiques de langue français du Centre-Est (https://www.ecolecatholique.ca/)
City of Ottawa (https://ottawa.ca)
1221 Cryville Road, Unit B, Ottawa
- Province of Ontario’s 2022 Candidate’s Guide for the Municipal Election:
- https://www.ontario.ca/document/2022-candidates-guide-ontario-municipal-council-and-school-board-elections/voting-day [click the blue Download button].
Any questions regarding filing or the municipal election are to be directed to the contact listed below.
Post-Nomination: All candidates will be circulated answer(s) to any questions raised by a candidate.
Alison Merkley, Clerk
Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley
6544 New Dublin Road
RR2 Addison ON, K0E 1A0
Telephone: 613-345-7480 ext. 234