Looking for something specific?

Use our website search feature below to find what you're looking for.

Building Department

Thinking of putting in a swimming pool? Erecting a garage? Adding a garden shed? Before you get started check this page. There may be regulations that you must comply with in order to add these structures to your property.

On This Page:

Chief Building Official Office Hours

Due to the varying inspection schedule of the Chief Building Official, it is recommended that those who wish to meet with the CBO schedule an appointment. To schedule an appointment contact the Building Department at 613-345-7480 or 1-800-492-3175 (within the 613 area code) or email mail@ektwp.ca.  In general the CBO has office hours in the mornings (Monday-Thursday), and conducts inspections in the afternoons.

Do I need a building permit?

Building permits are required if you intend to add any sized attached addition or deck. Permits may also be required for interior renovations/plumbing works and the CBO should be consulted to determine if a permit is needed. Freestanding structures under 108 sq ft do not require a permit but must be located in compliance with the Zoning By-law.  Please consult with the Planning and Development Department for information about zoning and setback requirements.


Sheds that are over 108 square feet require a building permit. Sheds that are under 108 square feet must still comply with the Zoning By-law.  Contact the Planning and Development Department for information on setbacks.


Attached decks and porches require a building permit, regardless of size.

Swimming Pools

Swimming pools (including soft-sided/inflatable pools) require a pool permit if the pool can hold over 18 inches (one and one half feet) of water. To learn more about swimming pool regulations and potential fencing requirements, please read Pool By-law 01-14.


Fences do not require building permits at this time. Fences to enclose a pool must conform to the Pool By-law 01-14, as amended.  If your property is a corner lot, contact the Planning Department as there may be setback requirements.

Contact the Clerks Department for information on Line Fences and the Line Fences Act.


Tents that are over (or accumulative total square footage of all tents) 60 square metres (645 square feet) require a building permit. Please note that the Fire Department should also be notified of any scheduled event for the tent so they can provide any safety requirements. You must complete the application form for an accessory building permit.

Septic/Sewage Systems

Septic system permits are overseen by the Township: https://ektwp.ca/septic-systems/ 

Application Forms

All building permit application forms are available from the Forms and Application webpage.

Applications must be completed in full, signed by the property owner or their agent, and submitted directly to one of our municipal offices.  All areas of the permit application must be completed, as applicable, prior to submission.

Plans must be submitted by a qualified and/or registered designer with a BCIN number issued by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing unless the building is a:

  • Farm building less than 6460 sq. ft. (600m2) and 2 stories or less
  • Construction of a building that is owned by that person (residential only)
  • The extension, material alteration or repair of a residential unit containing not more than 2 dwelling units where no dwelling unit is located above another dwelling unit (requested to be qualified but not registered with the Ministry)
  • A detached residential accessory building that does not exceed 538 sq. ft. (50m2)

Submitting Your Application

Applications must be submitted to the Chief Building Official at 6544 New Dublin Road. Once the application form is received and all required information received to deem the application complete, the Building Department has a maximum of 10 business days to issue a permit. The Township attempts to expedite completed applications, and is often able to complete its review in 5 business days.  Our office will contact you when your permit is completed. All permit fees are due at the time you receive your permit.

How much does a building permit cost?

Building Permit Fees

Building permit fees are generally determined in one of two ways – either through a flat fee or via the square footage space.  The Chief Building Official calculates the final cost of the permit and is payable at the time the permit is picked up. You will be notified of the cost of the permit when advised that the permit is ready for pick-up. The schedule of building permit fees can be viewed at https://elizabethtownkitley.civicweb.net/filepro/document/66255/By-law%2023-39%20to%20Establish.pdf.

Information Guides

Applying for a building permit? Get all the information you may need to accurately complete the application form. Check out the Information Guides provided by the Township. All building permit information guides are available at our Virtual Library. Virtual Library: Click here to select the information guide that matches your project.

Demolition Permit Application & Procedure

Just like building permits, demolition permit applications must be completed in full and signed by the property owner or their agent, then returned to our office. A flat fee of $100.00 applies for this permit.

  • Virtual Library: Click here to select the application form you need.
  • Forms Page: Or visit the Forms Page for a list of building permit applications.

If you needed a building permit to put it up, you will need a demolition permit to take it down. The Township provides copies of all building and demolition permits to the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) in an effort to assist them in maintaining up to date records.  Adding or removing structures from your property may affect your assessed value so it is recommended to consult MPAC about how to request a review of your assessment resulting from a demolition.

Inspection Information

Once a building permit has been issued and construction is underway, you will be required to request and undergo inspections by the Chief Building Official. The number and type of inspections depends on what you are building. You will be provided with a list of required inspections with your issued building permit.

To Request an Inspection

Please contact the office by phone or fax to request an inspection (Phone 613-345-7480 or1-800-492-3175 (within the 613 area code), fax 613-345-7235).

The person to whom this permit has been issued shall notify the Chief Building Official in advance of the stages of construction specified below. A minimum of twenty-four (24) hours (business days) notice is required to ensure an inspection.

Permission to Dig

Contact Ontario One Call to arrange inspection for any buried utilities, at 1-800-400-2255 (before you dig). Permission is not included to dig, tunnel or bore into or under any part of a street, nor to occupy or obstruct any street, sidewalk or other municipal property. To obtain permission to occupy a Township street or allowance or sidewalk during construction, a formal request must be filed with the Clerk of the municipality.

Stages of Construction Requiring Inspections (as identified on issued permits may include the following):

  • Commencement of construction of the building
  • Readiness to construct the footings
  • Substantial completion of the footings and foundations and prior to backfill;
  • Substantial completion of structural framing;
  • Substantial completion of air barrier;
  • Substantial completion of plumbing rough-in;
  • Substantial completion of insulation and vapour barrier;
  • Substantial completion of interior finishes and heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning equipment;
  • Substantial completion of exterior cladding and site grading;
  • Completion of construction and installation of components required to permit occupancy by Sentences (2) and;
  • Prior to occupancy. It is a serious offence to occupy a new dwelling unit/addition or commercial unit/addition for which an occupancy permit has not been issued.

Revocation of Building Permits

The Chief Building Official may revoke a building permit issued under the Building Code Act:

  • if, after six months after its issuance, the construction or demolition in respect of which it was issued has, in the opinion of the Chief Building Official, been not seriously commenced; or
  • if the construction or demolition of the building is, in the opinion of the Chief Building Official, substantially suspended or discontinued for a period of more than one year; or
  • as otherwise provided by Part (10) of the Ontario Building Code Act.

Contact the Building Department

Contact the Chief Building Official if you have any further questions regarding building and demolition permits.

Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley
6544 New Dublin Rd, RR 2 Addison, ON K0E 1A0
Phone: 613-345-7480 or 1-800-492-3175 (within the 613 area code)
Fax: 613-345-7235
Email: planning@ektwp.ca