Here you will find the information you need to become part of the process! From attending the next meeting to reading the minutes of a meeting you may have missed – we want you to be a part of the process.
- Council Agendas and Minutes
- Writing to Council (Council Correspondence)
- How to Become a Delegation at a Council Meeting
- Public Question Period
- Contact the Clerk
Council Agendas and Minutes
To view Council agendas, please click here.
To view Council minutes, please click here.
Writing to Council (Council Correspondence)
If you have an item you wish to bring to Council’s attention, however you do not wish to make a presentation directly to Council, you may wish to make your point in writing and present it to Council as a Correspondence Item at the next Council meeting.
How to Submit Correspondence Items
Correspondence Items (including petitions) should be submitted to the main administration office. Submissions can be made in the following manner:
- Via Fax – 613-345-7235
- Email – email@example.com
- Hand Deliver to 6544 New Dublin Road
- Via Regular Mail – 6544 New Dublin Rd, RR 2, Addison, Ontario K0E 1A0
Submissions must be received not later than 12:00 noon on the Wednesday preceding the regular Council meeting at which you wish the item to come before Council.
How to Become a Delegation at a Council Meeting
Perhaps you wish to personally address Council in the form of a delegation. Like Correspondence Items, your intention to speak at Council is required in writing no later than 12:00 noon on the Wednesday preceding the regular Council meeting at which you wish to speak. At the time you make your submission you must indicate what it is you wish to discuss. No more than two people can make a presentation on one item.
By-law 15-20, a by-law to govern the proceedings of Council and its committees, the conduct of its members, the calling of meetings, states:
- Individuals or groups desiring to address Council must register with the Clerk no later than Noon on the day of the Council meeting, if the item to be addressed appears on that Council agenda. If the item does not appear on the agenda, the delegate may be referred to a later Council or Committee meeting. The individual or group shall provide to the Clerk his/her name or the name of the group, the nature of the business to be discussed and, if representing any organization, the name of the agency or other such body. An email or facsimile request is acceptable, with confirmation of receipt. A delegation intending to distribute any reports or supporting documentation shall provide it to the Clerk at the same time of the request to appear as a delegation, in order that the material can be circulated to Council.
- The inclusion of a delegation on the agenda shall be determined on a first come first served basis and regard shall be given to the length of the agenda. No more than two (2) delegations shall be heard at any meeting.
- Delegations not listed on the agenda may be heard provided a majority of the Members present vote to hear the delegation.
- Delegations shall be limited to ten (10) minutes of presentation time with an additional ten (10) minutes for questions and answers unless and until the Mayor has extended or reduced such time allotment.
- Members of the public who constitute the audience in the Council Chamber during a Council meeting shall maintain order and may not:
- Address Council, except upon request by the Mayor and with Council approval and in such event the presentation shall be limited to five (5) minutes;
- Interrupt any speech or action of the Members of Council or any other person addressing the Council;
- Display or have in their possession picket signs or placards in the Council Chamber or Meeting Room on Township property.
- Wear hats or bring into the Chamber any beverage or food.
Public Question Period
Everyone in attendance at a Regular Council Meeting may ask a question of Council. The Mayor will direct questions at the appropriate point in the proceedings.
Contact the Clerk
If you have any questions about becoming a delegation or making a submission to Council, please feel free to contact the Clerk Alison Merkley.
Phone: 613-345-7480 or 1-800-492-3175 (within the 613 area code)
Township of Elizabethtown-Kitley
6544 New Dublin Rd
RR 2 Addison ON K0E 1A0